Wednesday, July 2, 2014

50 Day Wrap up and Overview

Now that the ride is complete, I have compiled some stats describing the time on the road.  Not that this comes close to capturing all of what I experienced (both good and bad) but it is a fun way to look back at where I have been.  I have found that a glance back over the shoulder once in a while makes me appreciate the road I have travelled and look forward even more to the road ahead.

By far the best part of the trip has been the people that have been part of the trip along the way.  Starting with Julie, who has been so supportive of me taking off to pursue all sorts of crazy ideas, and Randy who brought great company an perspective on bike touring and all the people along the road who shared their generosity and interest.  It all made what I was doing seem like something special.

While perhaps not practical for an ongoing regimen, I cannot recommend more highly the health benefit of spending weeks on a bicycle.  One of the great results of this trip for me was getting back to a point where concerns about health became secondary to feelings of health again.  In spite of my history, I am arguably in the best (or at least some of the best) condition of my life.  This has been a huge validation of the decisions that I have made over the last 8 months.  Looking back at this trip and others and looking forward to those ahead, I definitely am feeling that how I am living my life is now much more in line with my priorities.  I still have no idea where this path will lead but I am increasingly comfortable with that ambiguity and focused more than ever on enjoying the journey, wherever it may lead.

The Numbers

Total Days: 50
Total Riding Days: 45
Total “Off” Days: 5

Total Miles: 2368.12
Total Riding Day miles: 2335.86
Total “Off” Day miles: 32.26

Average miles per day (Total Days): 47.36
Average miles per day (Riding Day): 51.91
Average miles per day (“Off” Days): 6.45

Minimum Elevation: 15 ft. (basically sea level)
Maximum Elevation: 9,949 ft. (Tioga Pass)

Nights spent in tent: 39
Nights spent indoors: 10
Nights spent on boat: 1

New (for me) National Parks: 5

National Park Passport Stamps: 9

Warm Showers Hosts: 4 (All of them great)

People who rode along for some portion of the ride: 4
People who shared campsites: 4
People who wished luck on the trip: Too many to count


Photo Highlights

The Bike and Me


























People






























Scenery


























Climbing















No comments:

Post a Comment