Friday, May 2, 2014

Amtrack and Mileage tracking

Yesterday the bike was dropped off at Amtrack to begin the journey to San Diego.  I guess that means that this ride is really happening.  It turns out that shipping a bike on the train is really easy (almost no disassembly required) and allows some bulky  extra gear to fit as well (helmet, sleeping bag, tent).  We dropped the bikes off in the early morning to catch the morning train headed south.  The bike should arrive in San Diego in a couple of days and will be held at the station until we arrive to pick them up.

The train station in San Diego is only a could of miles from the airport so it will be just a short bus ride once we get there to retrieve the bikes and begin the commute to the route start at Tecate, CA.

It is really starting

I have been playing around with different ideas for showing the ride progress on this blog.  I am not sure if updating the google map images is going to be sustainable during the ride (the interface is a bit challenging from the iPhone and the Kindle Fire interfaces).  After a suggestion rom my pal Jake (Sr. Tech Wizard), I have put together a mileage tracking chart that I can easily update along the way via a web form.  Even if I cannot update the blog frequently, I should be able to update the mileage when ever I have a phone connection.  I am looking forward to seeing how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment