Thursday, May 29, 2014

Day 23: Yosemite Valley

Today is a moderate climb out of the valley at Wawona and a descent into the Yosemite Valley.  We at  to meet Sarah's brother at the valley lodge at 11 so we made our usual early start time.

The climb was a very manageable grade for about 12 miles followed by about the same downhill.  With so much downhill, we were running ahead of schedule which gave us plenty of time to stop an  take in the pretty spectacular views.


Wide open and lovely


The first view of the valley came while rounding a downhill corner and was truly breathtaking.  It definitely required a stop and son  time to gaze.  After taking in the view and a few pictures, we continued down the road which led to a tunnel just under a mile long.

Wow, where did that come from?


The downhill tunnel is not too big a deal a  I am usually travelling near the speed limit and don't worry about traffic behind me.  This tunnel was a bit dark (so I couldn't see my speed) and the noise from the oncoming cars made it sound like there was a freeway stacked up behind me.  I hesitated to take my eyes off the road to check behind me but when I did it was all clear.  It was still a relief to break out of the tunnel.

The view on the other side of the tunnel was stunning and required another stop and more pictures.

It just gets better


After we made it to the valley floor, the traffic was all very slow as everyone was looking up and around (including me)

This is real life





We made it to the lodge to meet Sarah's brother but then learned that they were in line for backcountry permits at another location.  We made our way there and found them.  They are planning to hike part way up to half dome tomorrow and finish on Thursday.  Tomorrow is a rest day so none of that silliness for me.  I'll hike up on Thursday and not lug a bunch of overnight gear along.

My boots and a few other supplies were shipped here shortly after I left Seattle (Thanks Julie).  Sure enough, when we got here my first general delivery package was waiting.  Boots and gloves for the climb and a few other supplies for the second half of the ride.



Sarah and her brother took off to go hike part way up Yosemite falls.  I stayed in Yosemite village to check out the visitors center (more stamps for my book) and some of the historic exhibits.  I also got in some quality lounging and reading time.

We met up later in the afternoon and packed our dinner into the rental car and headed up to glacier point for dinner and a sweeping view of the entire valley.

Great table for dinner

A preview of our hike later this week




After our late sunset dinner it was well past my bedtime when we headed back in the car.  It was a bit weird being in a car again after so long on the bike.  It was definitely worth the trip to see the view but I was beat. I fell asleep in the car and was out as soon as I crawled into my tent exhausted.



2 comments:

  1. We all had a wonderful time. What a pleasure to meet you both. And this is a wonderful blog. Hope to be able to visit with you again some day.

    --Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grant,

      Thanks for following along and thanks again for your great hospitality. Meeting folks like you along the way has definitely been the best part of the trip. I hope you have a great time sailing this summer and I look forward to the next time our paths may cross.

      -Alex

      Delete