Thursday, May 15, 2014

Day 11: Beat the Heat

Today is going to be hot.  We have not missed all of the heat wave passing through the area.  We have to cross a lot of flat desert not far from Edwards Air Force Base, former home of space shuttle landings.

To try to manage the heat we are going to try to get in as many miles as we can before it really heats up.  Fortunately it is really flat across the valley.  Flat is not something that has been seen much on this tour so I wasn't quite sure how to deal with it.  So I pedaled.  I had a few friendly reminders that we are bike touring and not bike racing and maybe we should save something for the hill at the end.  Sound advice.  I slowed down.

Flat goes on forever

We still covered the first 25 miles of our ride in record time and then began the 10 mile uphill between us and home for the night.

Just shadows and heat


By now the heat really started to climb and it was well into the 90's.  I was really glad we covered as many miles as we could while the temperature was a bit cooler.  Heat has never been my friend and today was no different.  I had used up most of my water by the time I was getting close to the top and the grade was increasing.  I could tell it was steep when I was passed by a semi and trailer doing about 4 mph faster than my blistering 4 mph pace.

At least the wind farm was quiet

Eventually the top arrived as it always must if you just don't stop.  This is really the key to many things.  It doesn't really matter how fast or flashy you are, if you just keep going you will eventually get somewhere interesting.

Today our interesting place is the Mountain Valley Airport.  Home of the closest camping to our route and a coffee shop in which to hang out and do our Internet things.

A lot going on here


So it didn't take long hanging around watching gliders take off before I figured out that I wanted to try it.

After lunch and a quick change of clothes it was off to the gliders.

Getting strapped in

Quick review of the controls

All set


Going


Take off


Looking over our route


Successful landing

It was very fun to get up an  see how it all worked.  I was able to participate in quite a bit as well.  After I released the tow cable and had a quick lesson, I was able to take  the controls and fly around.  I even managed to fin  some lift near the hills an  extend the ride for a bit. 

Another thing checked off the list of worthwhile ways to spend time.

Shortly we checked into the campground and I found the shower to rinse off the sweat of the day.  It was still early so I did a load of sink laundry and laid it out in the sun to dry. It was a treat to be able to make a phone call home since we are in a location with service.

 From there it was what had become the standard routine: set up the tent, look over the map for tomorrow, have a mini debate with Sarah about how steep the climbing will be, and cook dinner.  The temperature is really pleasant now that the heat of the day is gone and I am looking forward to crawling into bed.

Airfield and windmills are home for the night


No comments:

Post a Comment