Friday, June 13, 2014

Day 39: Relaxing at the Crater

This morning was the most leisurely of the trip.  I managed to sleep in until around 7 and spent some time reading before the laundry and showers opened.

Having just done some wash a few days ago, I had a clean pair of bike shorts to wear.  This meant that my camp pants could go in with the laundry for the first time.  Long overdue.  

Clean and refreshed I stopped at the cafe for yogurt and coffee and did some more reading.  I was close to finishing my book and anxious to see how it would end.  Sarah and the others were making a slow go of it so there was plenty of time.

After breakfast we all figured out our day.  Ferit would shuttle me and my bike to the rim where I would check out the area (and get my stamp!) and then I would ride back down to the campground.  The three of them would then head off to the rim road.  Sarah was going to ride around it and the other two were going hiking.

The shuttle up the hill was nice and gave me a preview of tomorrow morning. UPHILL.

The view at the rim was gorgeous.  There was more snow than I expected and the lake was a beautiful color of blue.

Super Blue

I walked around a bit, learning about the lake from the signs. Deepest lake in the country (1943 ft), highest recorded clarity in the world (143 ft), no streams in or out, etc.  It is a very peaceful place.  It's been a National Park since 1902 so folks have been coming here to do the same thing for quite a while.

That's what 5 trillion gallons of water looks like

With all the snow still around, many of the hiking trails are still closed.  Mid June is still early season here where things don't really get going until July.

Hiking trails?  Not yet

There is a very nice park lodge at the rim which has been renovated but still retains the style of the original built before 1920.

Cozy and quaint

It was a great place to do some more reading and finish up my book.  Like all great National Park lodges, there were rocking chairs on the porch.  However, not all lodges have the same view.

Rocking chairs and great views, a perfect mix

After lunch I headed down the hill to the other visitors center at the Park Headquarters.  Unfortunately, they had the same stamp as the rim visitors center so I did not get another.  I watched the park film and chatted with a ranger and another fellow who had some bike touring questions and headed back down to camp.

With a cold drink from the camp store and a sunny table, I mapped out a ride plan for the next eight days that will take us to just south of Mt. Rainier.  I have tried to balance the distance and climbing and eliminate the crazy long days that have crept in over the last couple weeks.  Now it will be my fault if the rides are killing me.

With the crazy mosquitos we have decided to forgo cooking at the campsite tonight and opt for dinner at the village cafe.  Then groceries for the next few days will have to be packed on the bikes as Ferit and Dilik will be leaving us tomorrow morning to head back to Seattle via the Oregon coast.

After dinner I headed for early bed.  Tomorrow will be a return to "real" life on the road, pedaling all day and eating food that travels well (i.e.  is mediocre).


No comments:

Post a Comment